Saturday 5 April 2014

March 31st Class


The definition my group was given was ,"convergence of technology," Here is the definition we posted.
"In general, convergence is a coming together of two or more distinct entities or phenomena. Convergence is increasingly prevalent in the IT world; in this context the term refers to the combination of two or more different technologies in a single device. Taking pictures with a cell phone and surfing the Web on a television are two of the most common examples of this trend."

 
I found this first class a little intimidating because we moved into an AT activity so fast. I am getting more and more comfortable with assistive technology and as a Learning Centre Teacher it is my job to become knowledgeable about various types of AT and help my students become more knowledgeable and provide AT when needed. BUT, while I understand the importance of AT, I am not a quick learner in this area and I sometimes find it very intimidating. It often takes me more time to learn and use AT then other people, so when we were suddenly put in groups and told to create a wordle, I panicked! Which of course, slowed down the thinking process even more. Then at the end of class we were told to create a Blog! More stress! My rational side tells me I will adjust and learn lots of new things and will do okay. I can never seem to get away from those "learning curves and as teacher I know that is a good thing!"
As a Learning Centre teacher I have always focused on AT as something that is compensatory for students with various learning and physical differences. I have always liked this statement.  Access to technology is an equity tool” I believe that this is so true! Assistive Technology helps put people on more of an even playing field and it supports the user to work around his/her area of challenge and accomplish a task more independently. In the Strait Regional School Board, it is mandated that assistive technology be considered when developing IPP’s, Adaptations or Accommodations. It could be in the areas of organization, academic productivity, note taking, writing, access to educational materials, and/or cognitive assistance. We are required to provide assistive technology for students who are assessed to need that tool.
There is a common saying that Assistive Technology should be, “as only as special as necessary.”  This means that it should always be the least-complex and most efficient intervention. It should facilitate membership, participation and learning and be as independent as possible. The tools need to be task-specific and used properly in order to be effective. The technology is only a tool for learning, not a guaranteed solution. It supports (does not replace) instruction and always keeping in mind that the AT can be faded out or discontinued if not needed.
So as you can see, as a Learning Center teacher I have been looking at AT with a particular group of students in mind.What was the real AHA moment for me in this class, was the idea that all students can benefit from AT. So after last class I am looking at AT with a different perspective. 
“For people without disabilities, technology makes things easier.
 For people with disabilities, technology makes things possible.” (National Council on Disability)
So as you can see, my "mindset," is already shifting!

1 comment: